HockeyKnight on Twitch

Friday, February 25, 2005

Mighty Ducks Sold

I'm surprised at this latest news,... I guess this is a sign that perhaps I am losing my vigilant mode of checking news and opinions in the world of hockey.

I'll credit The Ice Block for breaking the news to me that mentions the sale of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim NHL hockey franchise. Henry Samueli and his wife Susan are the proud new owners. You can get the official press release from the The Mighty Ducks Website.

I am glad that this happened. I hope that the Samueli's purge the entire franchise of the "magic kingdom" stench and rename the franchise. Who's kidding who here? The Ducks were named after a movie - a kids movie at that. Why not name them the Anaheim Express or Anaheim Extreme?

I guess there was an upside to the franshise it is just two years removed from chalenging for the Stanley Cup, but it's not exactly the same roster. Paul Karyia and Teemu Selane are gone. Who knows if Conn Smythe winner Jean-Sebastien Giguere can regain his form from that Cinderella season?

Check out these additional sources The Hockey News and Yahoo! Sports.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If one more product labels itself 'extreme', I'm gonna snap