HockeyKnight on Twitch

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Hitting a Little Too Close To Home

Since I am a radio guy, I would have to say that if I were talking about this on the air, I would continually insist that the soundbyte of Brian Griffin from Family Guy going "Aw, Crap!" be used as a perfect assessment to signal the disappointment that Penguins fans would react to the situation that one of their players have gotten into.

So, Brooks Orpik bertuzzied some guy on Saturday. Big Deal!

Actually it IS a big deal and the militant wing of the Caniac nation wants blood! They're seeing more red than they're used to and I definitely understand the rage coming from tobacco road. Mind you, I stood up for the Caniac Nation when they were under attack from the hockey elitist and others who don't think hockey belongs in tropical cities. You would think that I would see some class in the bloggers from NASCAR country.

1.) Brooks Orpik is not the player that you think he is. He is a strong defenceman who is willing to use the body - a rare trait among other Penguin defencemen. He is popular among a lot of Penguins fans because he's not soft like the other players. This might make him look like a goon or a thug, but that's simply not the case. Even Brooks himself sees a more humble view of his play.
"I've never been accused of playing dirty," Orpik said yesterday. "I've never had a hitting-from-behind penalty, or been accused of that. I don't know where that comes from"
"I've seen way worse than that that doesn't even come close to getting [the offending player] suspended," Orpik said. "But whenever a guy gets hurt, they always look at it a little more closely, and that's a team that's in first place and [Cole is] one of their best players."
2.) Hockey players know the risks while they are out there on the ice. Accidents happen and that is just what this is. Brooks did not mean to break his vertebrae. It's the professional courtesy known among most athletes to realize that someone else could easily injure them.

3.) I already see the Caniac Idiots is pumping out their anti-Penguin propaganda led by the "negative nancy" herself spewing her venom amongst her dupes. Also, a website that I once appreciated in Red & Black has gone off the deep end by placing #26 in their banner. J.C.! It's not like the guy died!

4.) If the only recourse the militant Caniac idiots is the Penguins Official message board, then they all have lost their sense of reason. I am a member of the Penguins Message Board and post there routinely. I know that there is a wealth of people there that have no reason to be there. The militant "Canidiots", as I'll now call them, have chosen to persuade people to their smear campaign by portraying Penguin fans as callous and quote "don't care". The circle of Penguins fans that I know in myspace fan groups all posted immediate concern for poor Eric Cole.

Accidents Happen!!!

[Via: Pittsburgh Post Gazette]

4 comments:

The Acid Queen said...

Yanno, I....

What the blue hells.

Anonymous said...

I've got a public school education, but I'm not sure I can even pronounce, "Canidiot." I think it's one too many letters to go on my personalized license plate.

d-lee said...

If you can't understand why I put the "26" in the banner, then you're the idiot.

I never said he was dead, and I never suggested that.

Since you can't figure it out, I'll make it a little more clear. The "26" is just a way of saying "Erik Cole is in my thoughts and best wishes. I encourage the rest of the fans of the NHL to think about and send their best wishes to a player who has suffered a severe injury."

That's a little cumbersome, don't you think? I thought the "26" would serve that purpose, but you seem to have misinterpreted it.

And as far as the comment about the Penguins board ---
I didn't make that up. The person really did say that. He later backpedalled a little bit, but I was simply pointing out that there are some really heartless people out there.

I posted on the Penguins board saying that some of my fellow Caniacs are going a little crazy and have posted some complete nonsense. I stated there (and on my blog) that I DO NOT think Orpik should have been suspended more than 10 games. I'm not calling for his head, or anything like that.

All I'm asking is for the NHL to take more of a stand against careless play that results in serious injury. I have been clear about that.

I never insulted you, unless you are "StanleyC", and I don't think I've exaggerated the opinions expressed by Penguins board posters (at the time of my post). I haven't been badk to the Pens board since then, because it had turned into a "your mother did this" conversation. Maybe since then the prevailing attitude has changed, but at the time of my post, the prevailing attitude was that Orpik had done nothing wrong and in the opinion of more than one person, Cole "deserved what he got". Even you must agree that it's disgusting for someone to say that.

And if you've read my posts, you would know that I'm probably the least "militant" of our lot.

It doesn't change the fact that I think the suspension was light.

I have been one of a few who have criticized the hit as dirty without calling the player dirty. I have pointed out some inconsistencies with Orpik's quotes, I have alluded to a discrepency between his quotes and his history, and I have alluded to a history with Cole, but I never once called him a "dirty player".

In summary, I think that you calling me a "canidiot" is more than a little out of line.

If you misunderstand my "26" in my banner, I hope I've made it clear. If you want to disagree with me, that's fine. However, I don't think I've been idiotic in any way.

d-lee said...

Also, since you were in too much of a rush to call me an idot, and apparently missed this bit in my post, I'll reprint this part of what I said:
"I know that message boards are not the best place to find intellectual discourse, or the presentation of logical, sane ideas".

Again, I thought it was clear that I was implying that some people, and this person especially, don't think about what they're posting.

I also, for the record, pointed out that many of the posters were less critical of Cole once the details of his injury came out.

I know. I know. Details.

But then again, I'm the idiot.