HockeyKnight on Twitch

Monday, February 05, 2007

Happy Birthday, Coach Cherry

It's that time of year again to take notice of a genuine guy but controversial personality in the game as the comandante of Coach's Corner. Don Cherry has turned 73 years old today.

Of all the things I do like and enjoy about Coach Cherry is just how much he takes pride in his heritage and history. In an age were people are constantly second guessing themselves thanks to the PC people, Cherry is a true patriotic man doing his country urging others to be proud of who they are and where they come from.

Admittedly, some of the things the Coach says later on could use more tactful expressions, but he chooses to live out his life unabashed as to what people think of him. He still goes out there every night and tells it like it is. He has conviction. I would believe that the Coach would be more appreciated if he chose to broadcast to Americans on tv than stay with the CBC.

Think of all the good things that he has done with the Rose Cherry House and his continued genuine support of the troops. That is worth something! His continual support of his country's military, even recently in a recent edition of Coach's Corner showed him wearing the Canadian Armed Forces sweater, it runs deep.

But what else can I say about this guy that he hasn't already said about himself.
"I look around and I wish sometimes I could just walk into a building and be like any other coach, but I can't and I realize that. I have to be Don Cherry to the kids who go to the games. I think I owe it to them to sign autographs."
And how many people have their own Bubba can of beer? A series of best selling feature DVDs? A chain of their own restaraunts?

Happy Birthday, Coach.

1 comment:

Stormbringer said...

A belated Happy Birthday! to Coach Cherry!! :)

*salutes her McFarland figure of Don and Blue on her desk*