HockeyKnight on Twitch

Friday, February 06, 2004

Miracle

Well,.. the long wait is over.. I can now tell you what I thought of the movie, "Miracle"!

First of all, let me get some of the negatives out of the way. I suspected that since Disney produced it, they must have some sort of slant. Nevertheless, they included a voiceover of President Carter claiming in a old speech "our country's goals aren't always the best." Yea, like the recent Iraq war. Subtle slam on America. But I wasn't fooled. Again, a banner that read, "Hey Russia, get the puck out of Afghanistan" was shown in the movie. I believe that history was correct in this instance Russia did in fact invade Afghanistan, but who's in Afghanistan right now fighting the Taliban and Al Queida? Subtle Disney-Liberal dis to the Red, White, and Blue.

With that aside, Kurt Russell playing the late coach Herb Brooks deserves an Oscar nomination. He really showed the driven nature of "Herbie" and fought to keep a bunch of college amateurs playing as a team. My favorite scene is when he made the entire team run wind sprints after a game until they realized that they represented a cause larger than themselves.

Go see the film or go read my review at The College Press in greater detail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they are not "wind sprints"
they are called "Herbies" by Minnesotan hockey players, and "Killers" to other sports teams