HockeyKnight on Twitch

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Canada and Bloggers don't give Slovakia much of a chance

I guess I'll be the only one tonight watching the World Cup game wearing my Slovak hockey jersey and waving my Slovak mini-flag.

After surfing around the internet through my favorite blogs, I have been dissapointed to see that nobody has given Team Slovakia a chance when they play their quarterfinal tournament game tonight at 7pm EST.

I'm sure these are the same people who didn't give the Czechs much credit before they blew out Team Sweden.

Granted, the Canadians did beat Slovakia soundly in the preliminary rounds, and GM Gretzky seems to think that "they're ready".

I'll be watching tonight on ESPN and I'm sure that my Canadian friends will be watching on CBC. Check back here as I plan to talk about tonight's game and celebrate a Team Slovakia win.

3 comments:

Don said...

Hey - Chara isn't used to playing those minutes and with Canada rolling 4 lines it's just too much.

Canada vs Czech Republic - the real gold medal game.

. said...

Sorry that we won't be able to read your recap of that stirring Slovakian upset. Well, ok I'm not overly sorry, since I (like many of the bloggers you must have read preceeding the game) didn't really give your lads much of a chance. They played a pretty good first period, but as Harry Neale pointed out, not many teams win a game playing defence for 60 mins. There were too many injuries to your line up and unfortunately not enough depth. But they gave it a good shot!

They simply ran into a very hot big line for Canada with Sakic, Lemieux and Iginla finally breaking loose. Canada has such depth on all four lines that its hard for any team to really keep up for 60 minutes.

I Felt sorry for Lasak, that second period was a bad stretch to have to stand through in the nets. Oh well, there's always next time right. We wait to read with interest, as to where you park your allegiances for the next round!

Presea said...

Ah well, I was pretty certain Canada would win, but in my emails about semi-final tickets I always mentioned that I wanted to go so I could see the Czechs--assuming Canada won. My confidence in Team Canada was exactly that--confidence in Team Canada, and not a reflection of any sort of lack of confidence in Slovakia. I still think they're a good team, even though they weren't able to really show that in this tourney.