HockeyKnight on Twitch

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Crosby Saga Continues

I continue to follow the hype that surrounds "the next big thing" Sidney Crosby brings to the world of hockey. The latest news is that Crosby has signed a multi-million dollar contract with the Reebok apparel brand. This is off the heels of an unprecidented deal a while back with LaBron James, then an untested overyped athlete.
"I've been in this business for 15 years. Based on my experience in working in hockey with other athletes, it's probably the best deal I've seen so far in terms of apparel and equipment," said Pat Brisson, Crosby's agent with IMG.
You can read the news from my regular sources here:
Rogers Sportsnet Yahoo! Sports (CP) Another Yahoo! Sports

I'm not sure what to think of this deal yet, since Crosby has yet to prove himself on the NHL ice. I feel this deal is another way to get out of the contract to the QMJHL that the league seems to be holding over his head. Of course, the QMJHL should try to keep him there for as long as they can and syphon off all the hype/attention that Crosby is getting. He seems intent on going pro, but stated that he will not consider himself a "scab" should the NHL use replacement players next season.

No comments: