HockeyKnight on Twitch

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Not So Fast Penguins Haters !

Just as the collective orgasm over all the Penguins haters who want to see the Pens contracted or moved over the news reports that Mario vented his frustrations on getting something accomplished, KDKA-TV investigative reports say that there is definite progress being made in making a new arena a reality.
Under an "agreement of terms" reached yesterday with city and county leaders, the Penguins will get development rights to the current Mellon Arena site if the team can come up with $300 million to build a new arena.
It looks as if Mario's "scare 'em up good" strategy is working again. Not sooner did Mario run to the press with a message of "no confidence" did the city move their efforts to get closer to the funding of a new arena for the city.
As KDKA first reported two weeks ago, the Pens are actually close to naming a partner to apply for a slots license. As part of their application, this as yet unnamed partner will agree to use gambling proceeds to build a new arena for $300 million.
I suspect that this "unnamed partner" will be Ted Arneault owner of the Mountaineer Race Track and Gaming Resort, but that's purely educated guessing on my part.
Pittsburgh's Sports and Exhibition Authority is expected to approve this agreement during a vote later this week; but ultimately, the deal depends on the Penguins' partner getting the slots license.
That should be the easy part, no? If the deal hinges on getting the slots license, what are the real chances this could all be pulled out from underneath them?
For now, though, sources tell KDKA that Lemieux is satisfied that progress is being made.
Translation: "Okay, I'll shut up with the doom and gloom for now, until the next time I see you people slacking off!"

[KDKA-TV]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! I'm a huge Pens fan and I've been searching far and wide for info on this whole Pens/New Arena/Moving to Kansas or whereever thing! I have managed to find some stuff, but most of it is pretty vague.

Actually, I stumbled onto your blog on accident? Haha I don't even remember how it happened haha...either way I'm here and I it was really nice to get some info haha. The Pens going to Kansas City or some other place pretty much brings tears to my eyes haha. Growing up in western PA with a hockey crazy dad like mine...how could I not be a diehard Penguins fan!? WE MUST KEEP THEM IN PITTSBURGH!!

I must say though, I really cannot wait for these games to start picking up..The Pens are such a young team with SOOOO much talent and I'm just waiting for something spectacular to happen haha..I COMPLETELY agree with what Sidney Crosby said the other night about winning being a good habit and losing being a bad habit...I think the Pens just need some inspiration or SOMETHING. Perhaps they need me to parade around in a bikini or something haha NOT.

Like I said though, I completely agree with Crosby. I think it's a load of bull how people are saying that Crosby's comments are way out of line for a rookie..psh. He's right! It's called constructive critisim...and Sidney himself hasn't been as great lately.I'm an athlete myself and I know that I often come down hard on myself and others. Sidney Crosby is just trying to improve his team...I think it's great that he isn't afraid to open his mouth. Basically all I'm saying is that Sidney Crosby is right by all means...winning is something you have to work for...it takes time.. but once you win...hmm all I can say is that I know once the Pens get a few victories under their belt they'll be unstopable! It's a little late in the season now, but I have no doubt in my mind that next year will be awesome...that is, if there is a next year.

Again, thanks for the info...you can be sure I'll be back haha.
-Sara

Patrick Kissane said...

GOD! you are in the spot to write about this morning's news of the wholesale firing of the Big Pens staff and the wholesale promotion of the sea chum. I cannot get onto the WBS discussion boards, cannot believe the news. You are so lucky. GO MICHAEL GO!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see some of the Pittsburgh response here -- my take was that Mario came out with this now to light a fire under the city's collective rearend to get something done before it really is too late.

All I keep seeing in the news is how Kansas City is ready for a team -- jumping the gun, I see.

The Pens may underachieve, but so do the Bucs, and they've got nice new digs -- and they don't have the talent the Pens do.

Thanks for the good news :)