HockeyKnight on Twitch

Monday, May 29, 2006

OLN to Carolina: "You're Crazy!"

While I was taking a break from my writing, I happen to come across the OLN rebroadcasts of their mocumentary series "The Tournament". It's a low-budgeted original series from OLN done in classical "mocumentary style". After watching the 1 hr program, I expected Christopher Guest to show up. It's reminiscent of his line of work as it's becoming the Spinal Tap of the hockey fandom. For those of you who don't get the station yet, it's a mocumentary of a pee-wee team in Ontario with all the colorful characters suporting the kid's team. I'll be sure to pick it up on DVD. It's destined to be available there like all cult-hit TV shows.


but then.. something really irked me about a promo OLN ran during the broadcast.

They attempted to promote Eastern Division finals Game 6.
"Can the Hurricanes win one away from the Caniac Asylum ?"
Translation: You people are crazy! I was really surprised at the choice of words that OLN so blatantly used to show their elitism bias.

2 comments:

roddie said...

Hey Michael,

http://www.hahaha.com/en/television/tournament/

The Tournament is CBC series, FYI.

Stormbringer said...

As if we didn't need any more proof that OLN, er, excuse me, "Versus" is really no different than the Four Letter Network in their "unbiased coverage". (rolls her eyes)

Is "The Tournament" better than The Red Green Show? ;)

After your description, I *might* have to see "The Tournament" afterall...I *really* liked A Mighty Wind. I like Best In Show too, but AMW is my favorite of the two.