HockeyKnight on Twitch

Friday, March 09, 2007

You might be a Puck Bunny

As I surf around the blogisphere, I have tried to sort through the now growing community of hockey bloggers and journalists. Over this time, I am starting to see more and more fan pages and blogs written by puck bunnies.

Perhaps even you might have heard about the controversial performance by a young lady that goes by the handle "Kitty Perdue". Yes, that is an oh-so-obvious nome de plume. So, I have come up with a self-test (a la Jeff Foxworthy) to determine if there are any more thoughts among hockey fans or my readers.

You might be a puck bunny..

  1. If you are constantly defending against charges that you are...

  2. If you turn to one of your girlfriends to ask if Player X would notice you.

  3. If you wear pink to the game.

  4. If you think you like the team, but always seem to focus on that one guy who just so happens to be easy on the eyes.

  5. If you write hockey fan fiction and said story or stories use a similar plot where a favorite player gets sensitive and reveals closer feelings to other teammates.

  6. If you are wrought with horror after seeing a player get hit hard, but don't seem to care when another goon-type player.

  7. If you imagine yourself a hockey mom to a players kids who haven't been born yet.

  8. If you write for hlog.

  9. If you have worked for a local hockey team just to get close to the players.

So, feel free to include any thoughts of your own on this topic or perhaps leave a quick one-liner of your own. The logo up in the upper-left hand corner is "borrowed" from a cafe press page.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,

I agree with all your points except for the one about writing for HLOG. While there certainly may be posts discussing players' looks or personalities rather than their performance on the ice, we appreciate the game first. If you look at our blogs (I think everyone who writes for HLOG also has their own blog), you'll see that they write about their favorite team and how they are doing. I like that the hockey blogging community has a place for female bloggers to get together and write about the best sport in the world. I am not a puck bunny & it bothers me when people are puck bunnies.

Like I said, I agree with every other comment. I work for the Whalers (OHL) team and unfortunately, I see too many of the fans who are puck bunnies and take advantage of the Skate with the Whalers activities or putt-putt with the Whalers, etc.

Just my two cents...

Anonymous said...

DUDE, CONGRATS ON THE NEW DEAL! So happy for ya! WHOOOOOO!!!

Miss. Scarlett said...

"If you write for hlog."

I'm really hoping this statement was made with tongue firmly in cheek seeing as how if we were really that offensive, you wouldn't have linked us :P

Christy's pretty much touched on everything I wanted to say. But in any case, assuming you've taken the time to read our posts I think you'd see that most of the content on HLOG discusses the game more than anything else. The admins are quick to weed out the irrelevant content because that's not what we're about.

HG said...

Michael: Like Christy, I agree with you except for If you write for hlog.

As a hockey blog trying to promote the female fan's perspective we are looking for posts and comments to be hockey-related. Team-specific and player-specific posts are what we are aiming for so that everyone who visits HLOG has the opportunity to learn about the rest of the league. One of the criticisms that we hear all too often is the misunderstanding that, as a female hockey blog, we are specifically only aiming it to females. Due to this and the mis-conception that female hockey fans are puckbunnies are why we feel it's necessary that most non-hockey-related talk; gossip, player talk and as well downright drooling is probably only appropriate in small doses.

The HLOG FAQ addresses any questions a reader may have as to our intentions. Due to some criticism I had received at my personal hockey blog (which I have noticed you have in your sidebar), I felt it necessary to clear the air on the difference between a fangirl and a puckbunny. HLOG's CapsChick has recently wrote a post on this subject as she recently stumbled across a study done by the British Sociological Association entitled “The myth of the ‘puck-bunny’: female fans and men’s ice hockey”.

I hope that these links can help clear the air on HLOG not being a puckbunny blog. Feel free to contact us at hlogadmin [at] gmail [dot] com if you have any further questions or would like to discuss further.

thehockeychick said...

All I can say is I write for the HLOG because I love hockey. And I just so happen to be female (although I'm sure I have more testosterone then some men). And it's a female hockey blog. But that certainly doesn't make me a puckbunny in the least. As I agree some of the posts on the HLOG have been questionable in content, the site is getting more organized and the admin chicks are working on cleaning up the unnecessary content.

But the rest of the points you made were certainly valid. Not a fan of the puck bunnies myself. They give true female fans a bad name.