HockeyKnight on Twitch

Saturday, November 03, 2007

When Hockey Fantasy Pools Go Awry

A lot of my blog entries are about breaking news worthy events and headlines that I find around the Internet. But this is one time where I must take charge and editorialize to vent some frustrations.

Every time I get out, they pull me back in. I wanted to steer clear of hockey fantasy league pools this year because I didn't desire continually changing the daily rosters. Also, I have found that having fantasy teams screws with fan interests. My fandom is compromised.

However, I wanted to jump at the chance to join a free hockey pool that was comprised of some of my journalism peers and other bloggers. It's only fun when the people involved actually know what they are doing. Most pools I get into online are quickly disinterested and plenty of people even forget that the game is still going on.

I saw a bulletin posted by a Fantasy League member. I attempted to acquire Malkin because that fantasy owner put him up for trade offers. So, I sent a really low ball offer hoping that this person would either foolishly take the offer or send a counter offer. In the real world, that is how negotiations work. Instead, my offer was rejected and was sent a really juvenile response.

Here is a comment given to me by some horse's ass who we will call "Ian". Yes, it is complete with swear words and misspellings - just the sort of message you would expect.:
Are you kidding me...what the fuck's wrong with you, man? Have you ever wacthed a hockey game? How's the TV reception in your parent's basement.
Is this really necessary? I don't think so. I am trying not to get all bent out of shape over this, but it is also difficult to just let this type of ignorance go. It is because of this insult that I may never participate in fantasy hockey ever again after this season. I am not going to deal with this person anymore.

So, this will serve a warning to all those who partake in fantasy hockey pools/leagues. Make sure that you have a close collection of friends to do this with and stay away from leagues with strangers. As for me, I am going to take the high road this up with the pool's commissioner.

3 comments:

shallowfrozenwater said...

i write a fantasy hockey blog that i invite you to peruse if you like and well, actually my name is ian but i just want to point out that i'm not the guy you just tore a virtual new one on. i do want to say, your thinking is right. negotiations always start small and they move on from there. there's no such thing as a ludicrous first offer, it's just a first offer. it's designed to get the person to start to look at possibilities and begin discussion toward a mutual goal. a juvenile reaction like the one you received is just that, juvenile. people should stop taking negotiations personally or they should just not trade.

shallowfrozenwater said...

reactions like that are just plain juvenile. negotiations really do begin small and if you react poorly to a simple idea then the person is small indeed.
i write a fantasy hockey blog that you can peruse if you like and i might also add that my name is ian although i'm not the man in question in your story.
don't give up on fantasy hockey, it's actually a lot of fun. you just have to pick your battles sometimes and you can't just kill your involvement because someone else reacts like a 10 year old.

Anonymous said...

I still say you should join ours next season. Our line-ups are once a week.

As for the dill seed GM you sent an offer to, he obviously does not understand how the trading process works (although I'd still love to know the offer you sent him, heh heh)