HockeyKnight on Twitch

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Hockey Halloween

Well, it's that time of year again. And do you know what bothers me sometimes? When people go to parties and dress up like a hockey goon/stereotypical player. Does this offend real players? On one hand, I think it is really cheesy and uncreative of somebody to dress up like that. Isn't it a little lazy to just throw on an old sweater jersey, paint one eye all black and blue, and also blacken some teeth out. Nay, I would go even farther to say it is cliche.

Michael Wilbon, Washington Post columnist and personality of the 4-letter network, dressed up today as Vancouver Canuck Trevor Linden on his late afternoon TV debate show. You wouldn't have guessed who he was if he didn't say it. I don't know how it got past the 4-letter's anti-hockey filter.

On the other hand, this excludes the Hanson Brothers costume which is always welcome at the Halloween party. Any character from Slapshot is classic, but I draw the line at Steven Baldwin.

Yea, I guess I am guilty of this too. I am going to have to look through the family archives and find a photo of me as a hockey player one year when I was very young. Now, I make sure to avoid dressing up like a black and blue goon and for next year, I am going to put anybody in the penalty box who does.

What do you, my good readers, think?

No comments: