HockeyKnight on Twitch

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

2008 Stanley Cup Playoff Predictions - Round 2

So, the first round is over and I was able to correctly pick 6 of the 8 winners (75%). Minnesota let me down as well as Washington who could have had the media attention with a series featuring Crosby vs. Ovechkin. The first round was fun for a while, but lagged a bit when some fans impatiently waited for second round scheduling to begin. Here are my predictions and talking points that highlight the story lines of the series.


Western Conference

Detroit v. Colorado
Hey, did ya hear they are getting the band back together in Colorado? The Avalanche are riding their "Propecia Formula Goalie" Jose Theodore, something that is always desired in the playoffs. Dallas dumped the defending champs. That shows me that they can hang with the big boys. Sakic and Forsberg are ejoying things so far, which seems to fuel the Avs fans mood. Detroit knows in the back of their minds they were darned lucky for surviving the first round. Nashville had the Wings on the ropes but lacked the depth to put them away.
Prediction: Colorado in 5

San Jose v. Dallas
San Jose is notorious for choking in the playoffs and this is where their ride usually ends. Dallas just adapts well to what they need in any given series and Marty Turco holds down the fort as a solid top 5 goalie. The Stars are kind of boring and dull to talk about, something that the FAN 590's Bob McCown likes to point out.
Prediction: San Jose in 7

Eastern Conference

Montreal v. Philadelphia

Montreal looked like a war zone after the hard battle with rival Boston. Fitting they now take on the just-as-tough Flyers. If the Canadiens can stick to the same game plan as they did against Boston, then the Flyers will not pose much of a threat. The Flyers will go as far as Biron will take them. Look for the Flyers to rush the net and plow into Price to get him unnerved.
Prediction: Montreal in 6

Pittsburgh v. NY Rangers

Pittsburgh gets a break again going up against the NY Rangers who have a weak defense, but have enough veteran depth to score a few goals in the series. Fleury must be running at peak condition if the Pens can keep up with Jagr and Co... and something in my gut tells me that they can.
Prediction: Pittsburgh in 5

7 comments:

d-lee said...

You may want to re-think those predictions.
Colorado doesn't play Dallas. They play Detroit. I know. I know. I'm splitting hairs over here.

Ashley said...

That second Philly goal in Game 7 should not have counted, in my opinion, and may have costed Washington the series. But that's another story...

I think you may have gotten your Western Conf. matchups a little mixed up. I think Colorado's playing Detroit and Dallas is playing San Jose.

Pens in 5 would be sweet, for sure, but I'm not convinced that it will take so few games to beat the Rangers. I hope it does because that will mean less Avery...

I have my fingers crossed for a Habs-Pens Eastern Conf. final.

Anonymous said...

if your such a hockey fanatic you might want to actually pay attention and know who plays who in the second round :)

Davis said...

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a jerk..which is not what I intend at all, but...You might want to go back and do your western picks again. Not because I think you're wrong about who's going to win, but the matchups aren't right. It's Detroit vs. Colorado and San Jose vs. Dallas.

I blame Versus for not spending enough time covering the west.

HockeyKnight said...

Sorry everyone. I fixed them to reflect the true pairings once I was able to find a place to work it all out.

I will try harder in the future to pay attention to errors like that.

Anonymous said...

Just because you don't like the Flyers doesn't mean they won't win. Your thoughts on that series is based on your own feelings on the team, not how they were playing. You suck.

JMNOR55 said...

I am sure that the NHL is thrilled that a small town like Pittsburgh is in the Eastern Finals when the Rangers would be better for ratings.

Unlike Kobe Bryant, Sidney Crosby isn't well known to the average sports fan in the US. He's 21 or 22 and this is his first trip of consequence in the playoffs.

Thanks Pittsburgh, in Football it's okay for your team to go far, not in hockey which is virtually dead outside of the Northeast and Canada thanks to Bettman.