HockeyKnight on Twitch

Monday, May 05, 2008

Slovak League Repeats Champions

Sometimes, I get too focused on the local NHL scene here, but now and again I will check out the leagues and games going on in other places... because this is one of the basic rules of this blog. Hockey is a global game now. I hope to reflect some of that here.

Having grown up exposed to my family's Slovak heritage, I have rooting interests where my families came from, Bratislava and Košice. They are on the opposite ends of the country, much like a comparison to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia is here.

My two favorite Slovak Extraliga Teams HC Košice and HC Slovan Bratislava faced off against each other in the championship finale. Both teams are traditionally the two teams that spend the most on talent as they can afford them. When the final game had played out, it was HC Bratislava able to repeat as league champions. Congratulations to Bratislava on their accomplishments. A few familiar names on Bratislava's roster stood out as former players here in the States. I would recommend checking out both teams websites (it would also help if you knew how to read Slovak) about the teams as well as some of the other teams in the league.

No comments: