HockeyKnight on Twitch

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lightning Catch Stevie Y in a Bottle

For once in his life, Steve Yzerman, the prolific ex-captain and now ex-front office management, has disappointed the Red Wings fan base. He accepted an opportunity to be a General Manager with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

When his name first surfaced as a candidate for the job, all the pundits immediately suggested that if the other Detroit GMs don't step down soon, then Yzerman may have to move in a rare and best first chance to be a GM.

I like this move for all kinds of reasons. The team in Tampa hits skids of under achievement from time to time. Steve has already announced his intentions with an initial statement the team regarding a potential new direction.
"This is a long-term project for me. I believe building a Stanley Cup caliber team takes time and there will be many decisions, some lengthy, that will be made over the course of time," Yzerman said.
Even though Steve is looking towards the future of the Tampa organization, you could tell that it was really tough for him to leave Detroit when it's been his home for the past 20+ years.
"It was very difficult to leave the Red Wings. I've been there my whole career and I was very safe there, surrounded by people I knew and looked out for me," Yzerman said. "That's my home and where my children were born. So this is a major decision, and one I've thought about for a long time."
No word on weather or not he would have the inside track about signing free agents from the Red Wings or have to work on overdrive to stay up-to-date on the draft coming up in late June. Most GM's already have their junior prospects listed for the entry draft by now.

[Via: Fox Sports Net]

No comments: