HockeyKnight on Twitch

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

COMMENT THIS!

I would like to take this opportunity to tell the readers that I have left about the one rule that I have regarding the comments section. IF YOU ARE SO 'PERFECT' TO COME HERE AND BLOG AND CRITICIZE MY SATIRE, AT LEAST HAVE THE GUTS TO SIGN YOUR NAME. It takes a tremendous load of cowardice to criticize someone on their blog while hiding behind the anonymity of a computer. And another thing, don't expect me to be sympathetic to "oh, I don't have an account" excuse. You can clearly leave your first name/handle/x mark on the body of the message. I wrote about something like this a little while back, but for some of you I guess the learning curve slopes downward faster than a Louge track!

So, with that being said, it's now come to the point that the one bad apple has spoiled it for the rest of us. I have now turned off the "free for all" portion of the comments section. Only registered account users with blogger can leave comments. That way, I can be assured of who is leaving comments.

And another thing, don't come here and post your long ass diatribe in my comments section. THAT IS WHAT YOUR BLOG IS FOR! IF YOU THINK MY POST IS SO LARGELY CONTROVERSIAL/OPINIONATED THEN POST A LINK AND RESPOND IN A SEPARATE ENTRY OF YOUR OWN. A couple of lines or a paragraph at best is only necessary. If you feel it necessary to leave a 100,000 word essay on why your team/player/opinion is better than mine, well... you might want to take a good long look in the mirror and examine your non-existent life. Loser! So, if you want to just come here with the intent of starting a flame war, then this is not the place for it.

The thing with ERIK Cole is that I wanted to break news and use my journalism skills instead of just constantly squawk out reactions to other peoples breaking news. There are good bloggers and journalists out there like Mirtle who actually seek out new angles of hockey stories and get that journalism cutting edge. I broke the story that Erik wasn't exactly the saintly martyr that the kook fringe of the Caniac Nation made him out to be. My reasons were just to break the story.

Another thing that I don't quite understand is why some of my blog entries go uncommented. So far only controversial blogs have had been deemed worthy for a reaction from my readers. I gave the link to a story about a brave young lady, Kim Martin, who wanted to play in Sweden with the men. That's a truly fascinating story to me, of which none of the other bloggers in my blog-listing had picked up on. So, I was ahead of the curve there. I also wrote a small piece to cater to my readers in San Jose about the goaltending situation. No comments there either. Nada. Zip. Zero.

So there you have it. I started hockey blogging a long time ago and I will continue the tradition as long as there are hockey to be played. If you come back to visit and read up on the news, you just may find some silly satire, controversial opinions, and observations that come from a unique situation. I DO NOT AND WILL NOT BOW TO THE THOUGHT POLICE AND MODERATE MY THOUGHTS TO THE P.C. CROWD!

I just had to get that off my chest. The next post will hopefully get everything back to normal.

4 comments:

The Acid Queen said...

Damn, Mike--decaf much?

d-lee and I were discussing your continued hammering on the Cole-Orpik incident the other night, and wondering why the hell you were STILL going on about it like a half-crazed fool after he and CasonBlog and I had already vented about it and more or less let it go. Now we see what the problem is--you have an anonymous coward leaving a bunch of cowardly garbage in your commentbox.

Look, I'm sorry if some drooling jackass in Caniac's clothing has decided to send you a metric assload of stupidity, but you know darn well that I've never claimed that Erik Cole was a saint (I'll let CasonBlog and d-lee speak for themselves)...and you should know me well enough by now to know that I'm well aware of the flaws in my team's players.

As for Captain Coward (and I'm damn certain he'll be reading this):

You're a spineless mouthbreathing inbred piece of shit hiding behind a keyboard and mouse, and I personally challenge you to motate your ass up to Section 332, Row H, Seat 4 at the RBC on March 25th to face me in person--and once I get done verbally gutting you from crotch to sternum after you give me a weak-sauce attempt to "justify" your besmirching of MY good name, I'm going to hunt your momma down so I can slap the crap out of her for releasing a giant turd into the genepool.

Stormbringer said...

I don't blame you...I probably should turn off the anonymous comments in my blog too. More often than not, I find that those who post anonymously only do so to feel like they are getting away with unnecessarily stirring up trouble/feelings and/or just making an ass of themselves.

I saw the "Brokeback" commentary below...and at the risk of upsetting some, I honestly found nothing wrong with it. AND let me make it clear that I am *not* a homophobe. Hell, I happen to have a gay cousin...if I was homophobic, I would not have had the guts to admit that. Also, if I was homophobic, I would not go on to admit that one of my most favorite comedies EVER is The Birdcage...which came out ten years before Brokeback Mountain AND prominently featured a gay couple. BUT, I guess The Birdcage doesn't count because it was a freakin' comedy...whatever.

Michael is not the only one to make fun of Brokeback Mountain...I know Jay Leno has done it A LOT over the last couple of months, while advertising the film at the same time through having a star or two from it on The Tonight Show. I'm sure Letterman has gotten his licks in too. Not to mention Saturday Night Live and countless other shows that make fun of current events. And I may not be homophobic, but I am able to have a good laugh. A great art that seems to have been forgotten all of a sudden.

My brother said it best last night (March 14th) when I showed him Michael's infamous "Brokeback" post and the ensuing comments...

"Geez...talk about taking things too seriously."

And seriously, no pun intended, people *do* need to lighten up...Brokeback Mountain *is just a movie*, not the freakin' religion some act like it is. Not to mention how it is not the first film/piece of entertainment to feature a homosexual couple one way or another, and it certainly won't be the last, nor is it the "be all, end all".

Anonymous said...

Penquidiot-Don't let the trolls make you think twice about your point of view or passion. I'll read a box score if I want the "Joe Friday" take. I dig sarcasm and divergent takes. I only allow registered users to comment. Not sure I planned it that way...Regardless, I don't really care what "Anonymous" thinks. This is about community. We don't crap in each other's yard becuase we know where each other lives (digitally at least). We spar and fuss, but we hold each other, and ourselves, accountable.

The Universal Cynic said...

Can I just ask one question? What difference does it make if someone slags you and they leave a name, or post anonymously? Does your opinion honestly change if their post is highly inflammatory or critical, regardless of a signed name? I don't understand this mentality. A person's state of mind changes when they're behind a keyboard. Deal with it.

Furthermore, these emotional outbursts are the biggest reason why I waited as long as I did before starting my blog. For a group of people (some, not all) that are interested in joining traditional media, it smacks very highly of unprofessional and extremely juvenile behaviour. Either distance yourself from it, or ignore it completely. If you want to rejoin the mainstream press Michael, you're going to have to develop thicker skin. You can't be melting down over every negative response.