HockeyKnight on Twitch

Monday, March 21, 2005

Gretzky: "Leave me outa this one!"

Wayne Gretzky told the Team Canada group organizing the country's World Championship team that he wasn't interested in playing the role of General Manager. Instead, Canuck's Assistant GM Steve Tambellini will be charged with the task of assembling a defending champion Canada squad.

According to the article placed on The Hockey News, Gretzky had cited the concern for his mother being treated for cancer since been diagnosed in early March.
"I am disappointed that I can not be involved with Team Canada at this year’s World Championship due to the personal situation surrounding my mother’s illness," Gretzky said in a statement. "I would not be able to put in the 100% that is needed for Hockey Canada."
Though I agree with Gretzky's decision, I don't think that it was just the concern for his mother that changed his mind to lead this year's team. Most of Canada's hockey superstars are playing overseas. It's going to be difficult to convince a lot of them to come back home.

Tambellini also suggested that they go with a different coach this year, according to the Toronto Sun, Marc Habscheid has been named as coach. Interesting move, as Pat Quinn isn't disapointed to learn that he won't be spending his summer in Austria this year.

No comments: